Update: Today is Nov. 27,103. This post was originally supposed to be published within the few days after July 6th of this year. I am still not done with this post. When the Complete Guide is finished, it will probably be the size of a 150+ page book. This is all free. A guide like this has to be created. However this post/guide is only maybe 5% complete.
I plan to slowly edit just this one post over the next month or two months (with the monthly updates on my own journey documented below this seminal post_. This is something that a few people have asked me to do. So I will try my best to make this guide the best that can be found on the internet, at least the ones written in English. I do hope that the people who frequent the Make Me Taller Forum come by and help contribute to the cause and provide valuable information on how to make this post better. There are plenty of blog dairies written on the forum from people who did go through the the limb-lengthening surgery journey. Thank You Guys – Michael.
Recently, someone wrote a comment on the website asking that I create a specific section dedicated to giving very useful information on the details of limb lengthening surgery. They informed me that even though they are a member of the website MakeMeTaller.org, which is a website focused on growing taller mainly through limb lengthening surgery, they felt that the information on the website was disorganized which might have made them a little confused.
I have written quite a few posts before looking at the advantages & disadvantages of going through with limb lengthening surgery, looking a the possible reasons why a person would say yes or no to the surgery, and even writing a detailed post on what happens during callotasis aka callus distraction, for an external fixator, based on a YouTube video I watched where these two orthopedic surgeons performed deformity correction surgery on the leg of someone.
Now, some people might wonder whether I am qualified to write a complete section or guide on limb lengthening surgery. I am not trained as a physician or surgeon. I only got Bs in my college level Biology and Biochemistry courses. Would I know enough about an obscure, relatively new surgical procedure to actually be somewhat of an authority on this subject? Maybe not.
I know that there are thousands of medical students and surgeons who know and understand the process of distraction osteogenesis better than me. Even the people who are regular posters and readers on the MakeMeTaller.org forum might be more qualified and know more about it than me. However, I am going to try to do my best on looking at all the considerations, details, costs, medical clinics, facilities, etc. that are related to limb lengthening surgery.
Note: Some of this information is already posted and available and is taken directly from the Resources section.
Note: I am human so I can be fallible. If I state that a listing below is valid or legitimate does not mean that it really is. Please be careful when making any form of decision that involves a medical procedure as big as surgery. I would advise one to consult one’s personal doctor first before going through with anything as big as limb/leg lengthening surgery. However, it is your life so you can do whatever you want. If you over the age of 18, you are a full adult in the eyes of the USA government legal system so you are fully responsible for any actions you take. I can only give you the information as cleanly and truthfully as I can.
Please be careful. To get a more complete listing of Hospitals and Clinics around the world who does the limb lengthening Surgery, please refer to the Short Support website located HERE.
Orthopaedic Surgeons & Medical Clinics which performs Limb Lengthening Surgery
Based in Australia
Founder: Dr. Minoo Patel – Personal Profile Webpage
- Education: MBBS, MS, FRACS, Ph. D – NOTE: He does NOT have a medical degree AND on his personal profile page it states that he is STILL in the process of obtaining his Ph. D.
- E-mail: email@example.com
- Website: www.limblengthening.com.au
- Tel: (61) 3 9429 8084
- Fax: (61) 3 9429 4045
- Address: Suite 5.7, The Epworth Centre, 32 Erin Street, Richmond, VIC 3121, Australia
Based in China (People’s Republic)
1. Beijing Institute of External Skeletal Fixation Technology – Based off of Beijing, China. Full name is Beijing Institute of External Skeletal Fixation Technology. From the website, the institute/ clinic seems to be legitimate, however I have not gone into detail in analysis and review on the doctors and surgeons available.
- Main Surgeon: Dr. Hetao Xia Articles written about him Link 1, Link 2
- Contact #: 86-10-68283645
- Address: Beijing Institute of External Skeletal Fixation Technology , Wandimingyuan 2-402, Haidian District, Xisihuan MiddleRoad, No.39, Beijing, 100039, China
Based in Germany
- Phone #: +49 (0) 175 7815 512 ,
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Address: Betz institute, Heeresstr. 49 , 66822 Lebach, Germany
- Directions: We are located 2 hours outside of Frankfurt, Germany, near the border of Luxembourg and France. The nearest airports are Luxembourg airport, Frankfurt Main, Frankfurt Hahn and Saarbrücken airport.
Description: Professor and/or Dr. Betz is internationally known for his approach to complicated orthopedic procedures in which he has pioneered minimally invasive techniques for over 20 years making him one of the most experienced limb lengthening and reconstructive orthopedic surgeons in the world.
Dr. Betz specializes in the following:
- Limb Lengthening /corrections (legs, arms, hands and feet)
- Development of innovative implants in the sector of corrective and reconstructive limb surgery
- Research and development of innovative endoprosthetics
- Specialized training courses for colleagues involved in reconstr- uctive surgical techniques
- Green surgery®
Based in India
1. Chandak Hospital & Research Institute, Recognized for the treatment of Central and State Government Employees & their Family
Description: Dr. Abhay Chandak has developed one of India’s prestigious centres for Reconstructive Orthopedics Surgeries, using the Ilizarov technique. He has a pioneering role in popularizing Ilizarov Ring Fixator Surgery, in Northern India.This technique has revolutionized the Orthopaedic treatment, the world over. Chandak Hospital has now emerged as one of the most advanced Ilizarov Center of the country, equipped with latest instrumentation and latest medical gadgetry, where severely complicated cases from across the country are being treated successfully. The hospital prides over performing the Ilizarov surgery in approximately 800 patients in about ten years. The center specializes in the personalized care of these patients and has succeeded consistently in giving rewarding results, carving a special niche. Copyright © 2011 chandakhospitalgwalior.com
- Phone #: 0751-2324131, 2410998
- Email: email@example.com
- Address: 14, Hospital Road, Gwalior, 474009, Chandak Hospital And Research Institute Hospital Road, Gwalior-9 Madhya Pradesh, India
Description: One of Asia’s largest and most experienced Centre for Reconstructive Orthopaedics using the Ilizarov Techniques. Over the last 20 years, more than 2200 operations on more than 1800 patients have been done using the Ilizarov Techniques at this Centre.All aspects of Ilizarov Techniques: such as Limb Lengthening, Deformity Correction ,Treatment of Problem fractures , NonUnions, Bone gaps , Poliomyelitis, Foot Deformities,Hip Reconstructions, Vascular Disease and Arthritis of the Knee have been extensively practiced. The Rationale for High Tibial Osteotomy has been practised here to perfection.We have great experience in Extensive Limb Lengthening for increase of height in Dwarfs
Director: Dr. Milind Chaudhary MS (Orth) is a pioneer in the field of Ilizarov Techniques in India. He was chiefly instrumental in introducing Ilizarov Techniques in India in 1989. Over the last decade, he has performed some of the most difficult and intricate surgeries using the Ilizarov Techniques, has perfected its routine applications and has introduced several new operations using this system.
Dr. Milind Chaudhary, Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon, Age : 50 years
Jaslok Hospital, Mumbai – Director,
Centre for Ilizarov Techniques
Chaudhary Hospital, Akola.
Tele/Fax : (0724) 2435398, 2441895, 2439265.
Centre for Ilizarov Techniques, Chaudhary Trust Hospital
- Address: Civil Lines, Akola 444 001, Maharashtra. India.
- Phone : 0091-724-2435398
- Fax: 0091-724-2439265
- Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Dr. S.V. Santpure – Consultant orthopaedic surgeon
- Education: M.S.(Ortho), Fellowship, Baltimore (USA),
- Location: Room no 36 (Monday/Wednesday/Friday) – 11.30 to 14.00 hrs
- Kamalnayan Bajaj Hospital
- Address: Beed Bypass Road, Aurangabad – 431 005 , Maharashtra State, India.
- Phone: +91-9325211654
- E-Mail: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
Based in Russia
1. The Centre Of Anthropometrical (Orthopaedical) Cosmetology And Correction, Dr.Yegorov’s group
- Contact #: +7 8442 38 39 27 (call from 7:00 PM to 10:00 PM (GMT +03:00))
- E-mail: email@example.com
- Skype name: volga-volga6
- Address: 17 Socialisticheskaya str., stage 7 , Volgograd, Russia
Note: I am slightly suspicious of the hospital/ clinic since the website does not seem to give an address of the center. Just be cautious.
The Federal State-Financed Institution Russian Ilizarov Scientific Center for Restorative Traumatology and Orthopaedics of RF Ministry of healthcare and social development is situated in the capital of Kurgan region.
Since the 1st of October 2010 Gubin Alexander Vadimovich, M.D., is the head of the Federal State Institution Russian Ilizarov scientific centre for Restorative Traumatology and Orthopaedics of the RF Ministry of healthcare and social development.
- International department +7 (3522) 45-47-58.
- Communication in English, French, German, Japanese
- Postal address: 640014, Russia, Kurgan, M.Ulyanova street, 6.
- Phone number: +7 (3522) 45-47-47
- Fax: +7 (3522) 45-40-60
- 24-hour Call Centre: +7 (3522) 234-264
- The Head Office: firstname.lastname@example.org
- The International Office: email@example.com
- The Hightech medical aid committee: firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Official web-site: www.ilizarov.ru
Based in Turkey
1. Yerevan Center of Limb Lengthening & Reconstruction – www.ycllr.org
- Contact #:
Based in USA
1. Dror Paley, MD, FRCSC, Medical Director – Paley Advanced Limb Lengthening Institute, Advanced Orthopedic Institute at St. Mary’s Medical Center
- Contact #: Office – (561) 844-5255 Fax – (561) 844-5245
- Email address: email@example.com
- Address: 901 45th Street – Kimmel Building , West Palm Beach, FL 33407 , 877-765-4637 (Toll Free)
Description: Board-certified, fellowship-trained orthopedic surgeon and is nationally and internationally recognized for his expertise in deformity correction and limb lengthening. (Note: I highly recommend Dr. Paley for his credentials, exposure, and experience.)
- Address: Clinic Address: A-136, Super Mart 1 , DLF Phase 4, Gurgaon, India
- Practice Location: B L Kapur Mqemorial Hospital, Action Cancer Institute, Nova Surgical Center
Description: Dr. Sarin has worked at Institute for Invalids & Reconstructive Surgeries Ukraine Region, Vinnitssa Medical Institute Hospital Vinnitssa U.S.S.R. for Reconstructive Surgeries, Rehabilitative Surgeries and Illizarov Technique of Bone remodeling. In 20 years he has performed more than 3000 Ilizarov surgeries.
3. Dr. Shahab Mahboubain, DO, MPH.
Southern California Ortho Association 10640 Riverside Dr , North Hollywood, CA 91602 Telephone: (818) 755-6500 (Office)
- Office Location 1: 9025 Wilshire Blvd Suite 202 , Beverly Hills, CA 90211
- Telephone: (800) 788-1416 (Office)
- Office Location 2: 16133 Ventura Blvd Suite 370 , Encino, CA 91436
- Telephone: (818) 379-9991 (Office)
4. International Center for Limb Lengthening , Rubin Institute for Advanced Orthopedics, Kernan Hospital, Center Website: Life Bridge Health
- Phone #: 410-601-8700 or 1-800-221-8425
- Location: Baltimore, Maryland
- Webpage: Profile Description
Director: John E. Herzernberg, M.D. (also Director at Pediatric Orthopedics at Sinai Hospital of Baltimore)
- E-mail Dr. Herzenberg
- Phone: 410-601-9555
- Fax: 410-601-9575
Note: I am not sure if this place actually offers it’s services for limb lenghening for the purpose of cosmetic reasons for short stature people.
Medical Facilities & Clinics which offer the cosmetic surgery service of Limb Lengthening Surgery
Based in China (People’s Republic)
Based in Germany
Based in India
Based in Russia
Based in Turkey
Based in USA
Types of Limb Lengthening Surgery
Limb lengthening surgery is divided into two main types based on where the metal fixators are placed relative to the actual bone material. They are either 1. Internal or 2. External. The original way devised by Ilizarov in his 30 years of orthopedic research was external and that was the main focus for most of the early years of the surgery. Then surgeons realized that instead of putting the metal fixators outside which was considered unsightly and scary, it was possible to insert the metal fixators, which went from cylindrical wires into a single thick rod which was implanted into the inter medullary cavity which is in the middle of every long bone.
- Original Ilizarov External Method – Post #1: A Step By Step Procedure And Guide To Explain The Original Ilizarov Method
- Intermedullary Rods
- Besel/Betz Method
- PRECISE method or system – Post #1: PRECICE System For Limb And Leg Lengthening Surgery
The Issue Of Weight Loading & Why It Is Important
From reading the posts made by the various members of the MakeMeTaller.org forum community, it seems that there is this issue of loading that is raised quite a bit. Obviously if people are talking
Cost Of Limb Lengthening Surgery
The cost of surgery varies a lot based on the country it is performed in and how well known and respected the surgeon is. The total cost for a one time
Amount of Maximum Length expected in one leg segment for each surgery
The general consensus made by most people is that the standard way the internal method allows for is only 7-8 cms. The reason why the leg or limb can not be extended any further is because
Recovery & Physical Therapy
The Issue Of Pain
Complications With The Surgery & Recovery Stage
Biography of The Original Limb Lengthening Surgery Innovator, Gavriil Ilizarov
(source is taken from Russian Ilizarov Orthopaedic Center website)
He graduated from the Crimean Medical Institute in 1944 that was based in Kazakhstan during the World War II and was sent to the Kurganskaya region to work at the hospitals in the Polovinski and Kosulinski districts. In 1950, he was appointed to work as orthopaedic surgeon at the Kurgan regional hospital.
In 1951, G.A. Ilizarov proposed his own device for bone fracture consolidation and received the USSR author’s certificate No. 98471 dated 09.06.52, and that was the start of his long-time work that resulted in the development of a new scientific and practical trend in the field of bone surgery that later was called compression distraction osteosynthesis. His scientific thesisCompression osteosynthesis with the author’s apparatus in 1968 was evaluated as the thesis worth of the degree of Doctor of Medical Sciences (MD)
Books & Resources About Limb Lengthening Surgery
The links for the books below are with the Amazon Associate Affiliate program.
Measure of a Man – Akash Shukla
Principles of Deformity Correction – Dror Paley
Limb Lengthening and Reconstruction Surgery – S. Robert Rozbruch, Svetlana Ilizarov